in

Iran warns against closure of windows of opportunity for US

Tehran (ISNA) – Iran’s government spokesman, Ali Rabiei stressed that the US policy of maximum pressure against Iran has failed, leaving Washington with no choice but to return to the 2015 nuclear deal.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Rabiei said, “Today, the US policy of maximum pressure against Iran has failed, leaving Washington with no choice but to return to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). We have always committed to our obligations under the JCPOA and now’s the time for the US to prove its call for a return to the world by setting aside the most inhumane sanctions”.

“We, like many other nations, believe that there is no other way but diplomacy to resolve the current dispute, but diplomacy cannot begin without goodwill and honesty. To date, the US administration has refused to take the slightest step that reflects efforts to build trust,” he added.

Emphasizing that Iranian diplomats will not play the US administration’s game, Rabiei noted: “We are ready to hear any fair and honest proposals to resolve the dispute, but we are more waiting to see action is taken to gradually restore the lost trust”.

“Last week, in an agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), we implemented the law passed by Iran’s Parliament in a way that we could assure the international community that our nuclear programs are on track but peacefully and under legitimate international surveillance. The agreement clearly showed our good faith in giving diplomacy a chance,” he reminded.

“Today, we expect that the members participating in the JCPOA will take a reciprocal step to prove their good faith,” the spokesman said.

“Any action contrary to our expectations will have a detrimental effect on the diplomatic process and can close the windows of opportunity quickly,” he warned.

End Item

Follow us on Twitter @Isna_Int

Source link