in

COVID: Migrant arrivals halved, permits -58%

(ANSA) – ROME, OCT 26 – The spread of the COVID-19 pandemic
has led many countries to close borders to incoming and outgoing
travel and this has had a significant impact on migratory flows
into Italy, ISTAT said Monday.
   
In the first six months of 2019, more than 100,000 new stay
permits were issued, while in the same period this year fewer
than 43,000 have been registered, a drop of 57.7%, the national
statistics agency said in a report on non-EU citizens.
   
ISTAT said the fall in arrivals in Italy started in 2019.
   
The number of permits issued last year was 177,254, 26.8% down
on 2018.
   
New citizenships were up 10.1% to 127,001 in 2019, the stats
agency said.
   
Italy endured a full COVID lockdown from March to May and has
now imposed fresh restrictions amid a second wave.
   
Italy’s bars and restaurants are set to stop serving at 18:00 on
Monday as the latest round of restrictions aimed at combatting
the rising spread of COVID-19 kicks in.
   
The nation’s gyms, swimming pools, cinemas and theatres must
close too as part of the package presented by Premier Giuseppe
Conte on Sunday, when Italy registered over 20,000 new cases of
the coronavirus.
   
Eateries are able to provide take-away services until midnight
under the decree, which remains valid until November 24.
   
Furthermore, 75% of classes at Italy’s high schools and
universities will be given via distance learning. (ANSA).
   

Reference