Penang cops arrest suspect high on drugs who ran amok

GEORGE TOWN: A 53-year-old man, who tested positive for heroin, ran amok along Jalan Bukit Gambir here armed with two sickles.

A 37-second video clip of the incident has since gone viral on social media.

At one point, the man was seen chasing after two firemen who ran helter-skelter during the incident.

George Town OCPD Asst Comm Soffian Santong said the man was arrested and the weapons used by the suspect were also confiscated on Thursday (Sept 16).

“The Sungai Nibong police station received information from the public about a man causing disturbance at Jalan Ketitir Sungai Dua around 11pm on Wednesday (Sept 15).

“Acting on the complaint, several policemen assisted the Jalan Perak Fire and Rescue Department, went to the location and found a man holding two sharp weapons around 11.15pm.

“When the police were about to make an arrest, the suspect fled by entering Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) Jalan Bukit Gambir recreational reserve,” he said in a statement.

ACP Soffian said the operation had to be stopped at 2am on Thursday (Sept 16), as it was dark and risky to security forces.

“The police resumed the operation around 10am on Thursday when they entered the USM Jalan Bukit Gambir recreational reserve using a four-wheel vehicle.

“After 10 minutes of searching, the suspect was successfully found at a cabin plant.

“Police had warned the suspect to surrender but he refused and acted aggressively.

“The suspect then fled towards the main road (Jalan Bukit Gambir) and tried to intimidate road users and residents living nearby.

“After continuous efforts, the suspect was arrested and the weapons used were confiscated around 11.40am on Thursday,” he said.

ACP Soffian added preliminary investigation found that the suspect had 10 priors, including drug cases.

“The urine screening found the suspect positive for heroin-type drugs.

“Further investigation will be conducted to identify the cause and motive of the incident.

“The suspect will also be referred to the hospital for treatment and mental health assessment.

“A remand application for the suspect will be made on Friday (Sept 17).

“The case is being investigated under Section 6(1) of the Corrosive and Explosive Materials and Dangerous Weapons Act 1958,” he said.

No injuries were reported and there was no damage to public or private property.