The deal rekindles hopes for peace in the crisis-torn country and shows once again the trust enjoyed by Morocco for its neutrality and respect for Libya’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The talks were attended by delegations from the Libyan parliament and the Libyan High Council of state, with the first representing the East and the latter the West.
Both delegations expressed gratitude to Morocco for offering conditions propitious for constructive talks.
In this regards, Faouzi Aqqab from the Libyan High Council of State read out a joint statement expressing thanks to Morocco’s efforts under the leadership of King Mohammed VI to help the Libyan people.
He voiced the confidence that Morocco enjoys among all Libyan actors, citing Rabat’s continuous outstretched arms policy towards Libyans and its initiatives to help Libyans reach a political settlement.
A key achievement during the talks was the agreement over the criteria for holding key sovereign positions, said Idriss Imran from the Libyan Parliament based in Tobruk.
The two delegations agreed to return to Bouznika, during the last week of September 2020, to finalize the Agreement, which paves the way for a comprehensive political solution that will help restore peace and stability in the country.
The two rivals called on the UN and the international community to support Morocco’s efforts to provide conditions conducive for a political solution.
It is undeniable that the Moroccan approach to the inter-Libyan conflict, based on good faith and non-interference, has borne fruit in successfully bringing closer the different Libyan parties’ views.
The facilitation provided by for the launch of the inter-Libyan dialogue was welcomed internationally, in particular by the United Nations, which welcomed, on September 7 Rabat’s constructive role, since the beginning of the Libyan crisis, and its efforts to achieve a peaceful resolution of the conflict in the North African country.
On Friday, the United Nations welcomed, again, the holding of the Libyan dialogue in Bouznika, saying it took note of the final joint statement issued at the end of these talks.
“We welcome every initiative and inclusive political effort to support a peaceful resolution of the crisis in Libya. This includes recent efforts by the Kingdom of Morocco, involving delegations from the High Council of State and the House of Representatives,” said Stéphane Dujarric, spokesperson for the UN Secretary-General.
Acting Head of the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL), Mrs. Stéphanie Williams, had earlier thanked King Mohammed VI and Morocco for their unwavering and continuous support for the efforts of the United Nations in Libya.
Egypt, Italy, Spain, Belgium, France, Jordan, the European Union, The African Union, the Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD) and the Arab League have equally welcomed the constructive commitment of King Mohammed VI to achieve a peaceful resolution of the conflict in Libya. Turkey also said on September 8 that it appreciates Morocco’s “constructive positions” to reach a solution to the Libyan crisis.
Morocco, land of hope for peace, has always shown neutrality in the inter-Libyan conflict and its efforts always sought a consensual settlement that would bring the Libyans together and not divide them.
Following the positive results of the inter-Libyan meetings held in Bouznika, with the support of Morocco, new talks will be held by the end of the Month probably with the participation, this time, of Khaled El Michiri, the Head of the High Council of State of Libya, based in Tripoli, and Aguila Saleh, the Speaker of the Tobruk Parliament, in what will hopefully be a prelude to a lasting solution to the Libyan crisis.
“We take note of the joint final statement issued by the participants at the end of the meeting as well as their plans to resume the dialogue later this month,” the spokesman added.
The breakthroughs in Morocco were welcomed, besides the UN, by the African Union, the EU and several EU member states including Italy as well as Turkey and Arab states.