(Reuters) – German former Formula One driver Nico Hulkenberg will get a first taste of IndyCar with a one-off evaluation test for Arrow McLaren SP at Alabama’s Barber Motorsports Park on Monday, the team said in a statement.
The 34-year-old is currently reserve driver for the Aston Martin F1 team, who will be racing in Austin, Texas, at the weekend.
Hulkenberg raced twice in Formula One last year as a stand-in at Silverstone for Mexican Sergio Perez, who had tested positive for COVID-19, and unwell Canadian Lance Stroll at the Nuerburgring.
A Le Mans 24 Hours winner, Hulkenberg has made 179 career Formula One starts.
“I am pleased to try out an Indy car and see what it’s all about,” he said. “While I don’t have any current plans to race in IndyCar, it will be great to drive a car for the first time and get a feel for the series.”
Arrow McLaren SP are considering eventually running a third car in the U.S.-based series, with Mexican Pato O’Ward and Sweden’s Felix Rosenqvist confirmed for 2022.
(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Christian Radnedge)